Skip to main content

Easter Monday: A note not from the Desert Fathers

by the Rev. Buddy Stallings
Since I am very part-time, non-stipendiary, and somewhat curmudgeonly, I am choosing not to write this morning about a piece of wisdom from the Desert Fathers. Today is Easter Monday, the second day of the Great Fifty Days of Easter; and not a single one of the “top ten hits of the Desert Fathers” seems very Eastery to me. This is the time when Episcopalians delight in saying “Happy Easter” much longer than our non-liturgical brothers and sisters do so. To be clear, God loves “them” just as God loves us, though I suspect God wonders why in the world “they” would choose to celebrate Easter just for one day when Easter is, in fact, a glorious season, lingering all the way to Pentecost.
Lord knows we are in particular need of a “Glorious Season” this year! My wondrous, brave, and talented colleagues at Calvary gave all of us with eyes to see, ears to hear, and fingers to click thoughtful and beautiful online services during Holy Week (indeed throughout this dreadful episode of sheltering in place). When the first cords of “Jesus Christ Is Risen Today” struck strongly and joyfully yesterday in Calvary Church, void of most of us but filled to the brim with love and spirit, my heart soared and my tear ducts leaked. Even with spotty Internet connection, as the service concluded with Widor’s Toccata, played as magnificently as I have ever heard it done, for a few moments I was transported to a place where the words of little Pippa, of Browning’s famous poem, rang out loud and clear, less naïve than descriptive, “God is in His heaven, and all is right with the world.”
But as charming and flamboyantly hopeful as it is, I know better than Pippa’s claim. All is not right with the world just now or at any time; and while God is clearly in God’s heaven, much more importantly to me, God is right here, right now in the midst of this moment, magically delivering neither us nor God’s self from the reality of the pandemic and its constituent disaster. The message of our liturgy last week is less about reenactment than commission: “love like this, live in this way, die to the old to be raised to the new.” The virtuosity of Widor’s marvelous strain is less about being gobsmacked by its beauty than being urgently renewed to run full speed into a world desperately in need of God come near. The joy of Easter week is less about luxuriating in the light among ourselves than about bounding in joy to be the light of Christ in the world.
Never mind that Walgreens slashed the price of chocolate bunnies this morning by half or that the few daring ladies, who wore Easter bonnets to their Zoom family party yesterday, have packed them away for another year. It is still Easter, beloved friends, and it shall be for a while. My beloved mentor in college, who died just this week, Dr. Bradley Pope, once told me that Easter is the “birthday of hope.” With all my heart, despite its scars and hardened places, I believe it; and Easter as the birthday of hope lasts forever!

Comments

  1. A poem by Phyllis McGinley:

    THE TEMPTATIONS OF SAINT ANTHONY

    Off in the wilderness bare and level
    Anthony wrestled with the Devil.
    Once he'd beaten the Devil down,
    Anthony'd turn his eyes toward town
    And leave his hermitage now and then
    To come to grips with the souls of men.

    Afterwards all the tales agree,
    Wrestling the Devil seemed to be
    Quite a relief to Anthony.


    Yes, the problem,s of mankind are real. And thinking of Easter does give us the feeling that these problems will, in due course, pass. In the meantime, thinking of "God come near" is a very big help.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who cried.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love Over Fear

After a long while in the Egyptian desert, Anthony said, “Now I no longer fear God, I love him, for love casts out fear.” by the Rev. Buddy Stallings When Scott first asked me to write a brief meditation on a teaching of one of the Desert Fathers, my response was, “Do you have any idea how long it has been since I have thought of a Desert Father?” In his inimitably kind way, he chuckled gently and told me the deadline for having it written. To tell the truth, even when I studied the Desert Fathers long ago in seminary, I didn’t think about them a great deal. None of them, not one, seemed like someone I would enjoy getting to know or certainly one with whom I would want to share a meal. Asceticism by definition does not elicit imaginings of culinary excellence. And, yet, even then, I was insightful enough to know that my real resistance was that I suspected they were on to something in their search for God that I most likely would never have the nerve or strength to engage: l

Painstaking speech

Technology, folks are saying, will help us overcome the isolation we’re feeling during this pandemic. And to some extent, that’s true. I can see my friends and co-workers in digital replication on Zoom, or glean some good ideas from my creative friends on how to spend the time, or track how communal response is unfolding in communities far from me. But considering the well-established fact that social media hasn’t had an overall positive effect on our relationships, self-esteem, anxiety levels, loneliness, sleep patterns — not to mention our national conversation — I’m more than a little concerned. If social media and the digital existence are our lifelines now, what sort of life will we find answering on the other end of the line? Rowan Williams writes in Where God Happens  (p. 76), “However physically distant we may be from the more obvious temptations, there is always the damage that can be done by speech, by the giving and receiving of doubtfully truthful perspectives, the hal