Skip to main content

Your Cell Will Teach You

“In Scetis a brother went to Moses to ask for advice. He said to him, ‘Go and sit in your cell, and your cell will teach you everything.’”

by the Rev. Paul McLain

This new reality of social distancing and safe-at-home may be with us awhile. One of the temptations we face is seeing this as a time to find means of escape until we get back to “normal.” Yes, for many of us, we will need to find some escape valves along the way to avoid going stir crazy. But, if our whole life becomes about seeking escape and distraction, we will miss an opportunity.
Rowan Williams writes, “We are easily persuaded that the problem of growing up in the life of the spirit can be located outside ourselves. Somewhere else I could be nicer, holier, more balanced, more detached about criticism, more disciplined, able to sing in tune, and probably thinner as well. Unreality has a huge advantage over reality in some ways since it is not obliged to obey any laws of cause and effect. But there’s the catch – you are involved in those laws. So: ‘If a trial comes upon you in the place where you live, do not leave that place when the trial comes. Wherever you go, you will find that what you are running from is there ahead of you. So, stay until the trial is over...’”[1]
Those of us who are not digital natives are finding ways to use technology to stay connected to old and new neighbors in ways we thought were out of reach for us. But the monastic virtue of stability draws us also to see this time of staying-in-place as a unique opportunity to sit quietly and cultivate our inner life. Williams writes, “So we come back to the beginning: our life and death is with the neighbor, the actual here and now concept in which we live – including that unique neighbor who is my own embodied self and whom I must confront truthfully as I confront all the rest truthfully.”[2]
Jesus does not escape his embodiment. He instead embraces it. He shows us that part of being fully human is to find some solitude wherever we are. We often see his times of being alone for prayer as intermissions in the story until the next act, the next miracle, or the next public discourse. Instead, those moments of solitude are the times he makes the deepest connection with God the Father and stills his heart for more profound connections with all of us and with himself.
While it is important to stay informed and reach out to others during this time, it is also vital that we take mini-retreats from electronics and discover the innermost recesses of our own consciousness. Williams concludes, “Then as today, the cell, the place of staying, is a refining fire. . .Where we are and who we are is the furnace where the Son of God walks.”[3]


[1]Rowan Williams, Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One Another, 99
[2] Williams, Where God Happens, 117
[3] Williams, Where God Happens, 121

Comments

  1. Alone here in the house, the temptation is to “pump up the jam.” These words are a call to find strength in silence and an awareness that we are all, and at all times, in the holy presence of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, good reflection!

    I’m reminded that I need to stop reaching for my phone, iPad, tv clicker, etc. God forbid I should dwell within!

    On the other hand, I learned during my several years at VTS that some of us are more inherently disposed towards silence, prayer and introspection, but for some of us it is always an effort.

    I recall a summer camp many years ago, in the Diocese of Southwestern Virginia, during which I discovered to my relief, that my extroverted, talkative nature was sometimes useful in community.

    There are talkers and there are listeners. Where would we be without each other??

    One cold, snow-laden retreat week in the hills of either Virginia or Maryland, I spent an entire weekend in “community silence.” I even read Martin Buber’s “I and Thou (hardly my usual reading fare!)”

    It was the longest, and one of the most difficult three-day periods of my life until then.

    I emerged from that experience more accepting of myself. I took comfort in the knowledge that God has created “all sorts and conditions “ of us. We are not all alike.

    I am not better than you are, nor are you better than I am. We are just different. God creates all of us different folks, mixes us together and makes His diverse world.

    I’m forever grateful to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bootstraps & Hermits

According to Laurence Freeman, some hermits used to say, "If you see a young man climbing up to heaven by his own will, catch him by the foot and pull him down to earth, for it is not good for him." Hard as I pull on my own bootstraps, I’ve never been able to lift myself even an inch toward heaven. Have you? The cliche has never made a lick of sense to me. It makes perfect sense, however, that a bootstrap would provide a fine grip if you’re trying to pull somebody else back down to earth. It seems the bootstrap theology of the hermits of the Egyptian desert was a near perfect inversion of ours. Our conception of economic life is one thing that’s floated off toward the heavens in my lifetime. We’ve increasingly thought of economic health more in terms of disembodied markets rather than incarnate human beings living deeply interconnected lives. It's more about Dow Jones Averages than actual people who get up in the morning and cook a meal or teach a child or install a fauce

Painstaking speech

Technology, folks are saying, will help us overcome the isolation we’re feeling during this pandemic. And to some extent, that’s true. I can see my friends and co-workers in digital replication on Zoom, or glean some good ideas from my creative friends on how to spend the time, or track how communal response is unfolding in communities far from me. But considering the well-established fact that social media hasn’t had an overall positive effect on our relationships, self-esteem, anxiety levels, loneliness, sleep patterns — not to mention our national conversation — I’m more than a little concerned. If social media and the digital existence are our lifelines now, what sort of life will we find answering on the other end of the line? Rowan Williams writes in Where God Happens  (p. 76), “However physically distant we may be from the more obvious temptations, there is always the damage that can be done by speech, by the giving and receiving of doubtfully truthful perspectives, the hal

Easter Monday: A note not from the Desert Fathers

by the Rev. Buddy Stallings Since I am very part-time, non-stipendiary, and somewhat curmudgeonly, I am choosing not to write this morning about a piece of wisdom from the Desert Fathers. Today is Easter Monday, the second day of the Great Fifty Days of Easter; and not a single one of the “top ten hits of the Desert Fathers” seems very Eastery to me. This is the time when Episcopalians delight in saying “Happy Easter” much longer than our non-liturgical brothers and sisters do so. To be clear, God loves “them” just as God loves us, though I suspect God wonders why in the world “they” would choose to celebrate Easter just for one day when Easter is, in fact, a glorious season, lingering all the way to Pentecost. Lord knows we are in particular need of a “Glorious Season” this year! My wondrous, brave, and talented colleagues at Calvary gave all of us with eyes to see, ears to hear, and fingers to click thoughtful and beautiful online services during Holy Week (indeed throughout this d